Re: st: Random coefficient

From   Michael Mitchell <>
Subject   Re: st: Random coefficient
Date   Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:43:09 -0700

(Please forgive if this is a re-post... majordomo said this got bounced)

  I wish I could write a good answer via email, but a good answer
would essentially be a short chapter of a book... I could supply a
short lousy answer, but instead I would like to recommend that you
check out this list of multilevel modeling books at

  Among those books, I think you would find one that would give you a
very satisfying answer. Two of the books can be downloaded via the web

    * Applied Multilevel Analysis by J.J. Hox (PDF, free download)
    * Multilevel Statistical Models by Harvey Goldstein (PDF, free download)

  For a basic introduction, I like

  Introduction to Multilevel Modeling by Ita Kreft and Jan de Leeuw (3 copies)

  For a more thorough treatment, you might like

  Multilevel Analysis: An Introduction to Basic and Advanced
Multilevel Modeling by Tom Snijders and Roel Bosker which also has
examples available at

  Hierarchical Linear Models, Second Edition by Stephen Raudenbush and
Anthony Bryk

I hope this is helpful,

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell