st: Three way table with tabout

From   Ángel Rodríguez Laso <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Three way table with tabout
Date   Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:29:51 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

Using Stata 9.2.

Is it possible to get a three way table from tabout?

I would like to have a table of health status by age groups for men
and bellow another one for women that I can easily export to Excel,
but I'd rather have in the first row the health status variable label,
in the second the first value label for sex (men), in the subsequent
rows the percentages of different health status by age groups in men,
then the second value label for sex (women) and finally the
percentages of health status by age groups in women.

I've tried with topf:

tabout agegroups healthstatus using luisa.xls if sex==1, replace svy
c(row ci) per f(1 1) layout(cb) h3(nil) cisep(-) ///

npos(col)style(tab)stats(chi2) topf(top.txt) topstr(MEN)

tabout agegroups healthstatus using luisa.xls if sex==2, append svy
c(row ci) per f(1 1) layout(cb) h3(nil) cisep(-) ///

npos(col)style(tab)stats(chi2)topf(top.txt) topstr(WOMEN)

but then I get the sex value labels before the health status variable
label, which is not the natural way to show the results.

Tabout does not support -bysort sex-

Many thanks,

Angel Rodriguez-Laso