st: RE: Re: Replacing certain characters in variable labels.

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Replacing certain characters in variable labels.
Date   Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:43:11 +0100

I guess that what you needed in the first version was

local a = subinstr("`a'","’","'",.)

rather than

local a: subinstr("`a'","’","'",.)

The code you ended up with is naturally fine too.

Anna Reimondos

After a bit more exploration I found the solution:

foreach i of varlist _all {
local a : variable label `i'
local a: subinstr local a "’" "'"
label var `i' "`a'"