Re: st: pweight, aweight, and survey data

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: pweight, aweight, and survey data
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:52:34 -0400

John Westbury <> :
pweights and aweights yield the same point estimates but typically
different variance (SE) estimates; have you read the help files and
documentation available in Stata on weights?  e.g.

[U] 20.18.3 Sampling weights
Sampling weights—probability weights or pweights—refer to
probability-weighted random samples.
Actually, what you specify in [pweight=...] is a variable recording
the number of subjects in
the full population that the sampled observation in your data
represents. That is, an observation that
had probability 1/3 of being included in your sample has pweight 3.
Some researchers have used aweights with this kind of data. If they
do, they are probably making
a mistake. Consider the regression model