st: pweight, aweight, and survey data

From   John Westbury <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: pweight, aweight, and survey data
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:42:08 -0500

Howdy.

I am using a data set generated from a complex sample design.
Sampling weights are established to account for the probability of
selection in the sampling design and when applied to records produce a
nationally representative sample.  Each record in the sample is for
individuals.

I have experimented obtaining summary statistics with stata weight
designators of pweight and aweight.  Both pweight and aweight
designations for my weight variable yield exactly the same summary
statistics for my data but the definition of pweight and aweight seem
to differ greatly in stata documentation.  Can someone clarify why
pweight and aweight yield the same summary statistics?  When would
using pweight or aweight generate different results?

thanks much
John