st: AW: AW: AW: Detach value label from string var

Subject   st: AW: AW: AW: Detach value label from string var
Date   Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:47:11 +0200

<>

It is indeed a little weird that one can attach a -value label- to a string
variable with -xmluse-, which is certainly not possible via the "variables
manager" - where the necessary button is disabled for string variables. I am
not sure whether this behavior has any real bearing on your "string var with
embedded blanks issue", though. Try this:

*************
sysuse auto, clear
gen str1 newstrvar=cond(_n<50,"A","B")
xmlsave stata_out.xml, doctype(dta) replace
!start stata_out.xml
*************

At this point, you edit lines 62 and 74 of the resulting xml file to read:

<lblname varname='make'>mylabel</lblname>

and

<lblname varname='newstrvar'>mylabel</lblname>

respectively.

You save the xml file and continue:

*************
clear*
xmluse stata_out.xml
codebook, p
*************

The result is:

. codebook, p

   Potential problems in dataset   stata_out.xml

               potential problem   variables
  strvars that may be compressed   make
string vars with embedded blanks   make

This result leads me to believe that "string vars with embedded blanks" has
nothing to do with the value labels attached to string vars, and everything
with the values of the variable itself. Otherwise, "newstrvar" would have to
show up in the -codebook- results as well.

HTH
Martin