Re: st: using varlist wildcards in anova

From   Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: using varlist wildcards in anova
Date   Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:12:29 -0500

On Apr 3, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Vineet Bhagwat wrote:
I wish to run the anova command but without typing out the names of all the variables in the model. For example instead of:

"anova y t1992 t1993 t1994 t1995"

I want to do

"anova y t* "

but it seems I can't use the asterix wildcard with the anova command because I get the error: "x ambiguous abbreviation".

You didn't get the error "x ambiguous abbreviation" from typing the command above (i.e., there is no variable beginning with x in your - anova- command). Moreover, the command

    anova y t*

will work fine if you have variables named y, t1992, t1993, t1994 and t1995 in your dataset.

The error you report indicates that you entered a command using x as a variable name, but you have more than one variable in your dataset that begins with x. If you want people to explain what an error message means, make sure to include exactly what you typed that produced the error message (i.e., by cutting and pasting the command and error message from the Results window).

-- Phil