re: st: list x matrix

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   re: st: list x matrix
Date   Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:40:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 28/3/10, Kit Baum wrote:
> Easily done in Mata, per Bill Gould's latest Mata Matters
> column in Stata Journal:
> sysuse auto, clear
> putmata x=(price mpg  turn), replace
> mata:
> z = x * (11 \ 22 \ 33)
> end
> getmata z

If we take Richard's question literaly, then this if probably
the best answer. However, I would argue that the fast
majority of users should *not* use it, this includes users who
program in Stata. This is because Stata has a great many tools
available that will do that computation for you. I previously
pointed to predictions (-predictnl-, but also -predict- itself)
Inside the various programs you can use for maximizing likelihoods
there are a number of tools who do that computation for you, and
I presume that the same is true for the tools available to
estimate models using generalized methods of moments.
-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen