RE: st: AW: Adding rows to datasheet

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: AW: Adding rows to datasheet
Date   Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:14:50 -0000

Quite possibly, but I meant I didn't invent that example either.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

"
No need for anything by way of -set obs-, which by the way I am sure I
didn't invent!"

I guess Philipp was more concerned about the " `=_N+1' " part of the
-set
obs- statement which he may have snapped up in your post:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-11/msg00222.html

Nick Cox

Stata doesn't have "headers". I don't know what you mean here, the first
observation or the variable information shown in the Editor.

I don't usually add extra rows -- Stata terminology is observations --by
copy and paste, but I just tried it from an application called MS Excel
which I found on my Windows machine.

1. Typed one observation with 1 2 3 into Stata Editor.

2. Typed one row with 3 4 5 into said MS Excel.

3. Copied that row and pasted it into new row in Editor. Worked fine.

No need for anything by way of -set obs-, which by the way I am sure I
didn't invent!

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Sripal Kumar

Tried set obs `=_N+1'.  It does create an extra row but when I use the
editor to paste into it, nothing pastes into that row. It goes to
replace the header!!!