Re: st: How do I run a 3-way repeated ANOVA?

From   Philip Ender <>
Subject   Re: st: How do I run a 3-way repeated ANOVA?
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:16:49 -0700

"RAMPL Linn" <> wrote:
>I am trying to run a 3-way repeated ANOVA on Stata with Y and X1 X2 X3
>(all X being repeated variables) with SUBJCECT being repeated factor.

Kirk calls this design a randomized block factorial.  Using Stata 11
notation the model looks like this,

. anova y x1##x2##x3 subject

You can also run it using -xtmixed- and get the same results,

.  xtmixed y x1##x2##x3 || subject:

The trick with -xtmixed- is to remember that with dummy coding you
don't get the "true" main effects and two-way interaction using a
simple test statements.  You need to use one of the methods on this

Phil Ender
UCLA Statistical Consulting Group