Antwort: re: st: Graph png format - differences in scaling between vers. 10 and 11

From   Johannes Geyer <>
Subject   Antwort: re: st: Graph png format - differences in scaling between vers. 10 and 11
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:39:22 +0100 schrieb am 16/03/2010 13:02:58:

> <>
> Johannes wrote
> > I just stumbled across an unexpected behaviour. I updated some graphs
> > a Beamer-Latex presentation. I used the "png" format. But I used Stata
> > instead of Stata 10. The result was a file smaller than the previous
> > version (by a factor of four) with a smaller resolution. I guess, png
> > not a vector format and not indifferent to scaling. So, there is a
> > picture with less pixels which looks less nice when its size is
> > Even if I use Stata version-control, there is no difference. These new

> > graphs look bad in the presentation, so I recreated them using Stata
> > There are many workarounds and this is not a big problem  - but is
> > wanted, that the output changes  even when I use version control? And
> > previous default looked better to me. Or did I overlook something?
> I have no idea what may have happened between 10 and 11, because I
> have never used png format.
> From Wikipedia: "Portable Network Graphics (PNG) is a bitmapped
> image format that employs lossless data compression."
> If you're doing Beamer/LaTeX, why not use .eps? It is fully scalable
> and supported by any LaTeX implementation.
> Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics & DIW Berlin   |   http:

Eps does not work with pdflatex which I use. I could switch to eps2pdf.
then, how do I compile a document that also includes pdf files? Most
for me, the solution was png. I did not have precompile some parts of the
or convert them.