st: RE: bysort: and subscripts

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: bysort: and subscripts
Date   Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:49:47 -0000

Thanks for the plug. The article in question is accessible to all via

http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=pr0004

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Neal Beck

Incidentally, the answer to my question of yesterday opened up a whole
new world to me and greatly simplified my dealing with panel data.
Perhaps I am the only person on this list who did not know how bysort
redefined the meaning of _n. If you have panels and have not played with
this, I heartily recommend Nick Cox's 2002 SJ piece on some very cute
uses of bysort with panels.

Thanks to Nick and Maarten Buis for pointing out this trick to me. If
only I had RTFM'ed year ago!