st: RE: bysort: and subscripts

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: bysort: and subscripts
Date   Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:41:06 +0100

Use your newly found enthusiasm and delve into the FAQ at where you will find all kinds
of tricks which can be traced back to a judicious use of -bysort- and
friends :-)

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Neal Beck
Sent: Freitag, 12. März 2010 10:36
Subject: st: bysort: and subscripts

Incidentally, the answer to my question of yesterday opened up a whole new
world to me and greatly simplified my dealing with panel data. Perhaps I am
the only person on this list who did not know how bysort redefined the
meaning of _n. If you have panels and have not played with this, I heartily
recommend Nick Cox's 2002 SJ piece on some very cute uses of bysort with

Thanks to Nick and Maarten Buis for pointing out this trick to me. If only I
had RTFM'ed year ago!

Neal Beck
On leave AY 2009 at the Instituto Juan March, Madrid Spain