st: RE: bysort: and subscripts

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: bysort: and subscripts
Date   Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:41:06 +0100

<>

Use your newly found enthusiasm and delve into the FAQ at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/#manip where you will find all kinds
of tricks which can be traced back to a judicious use of -bysort- and
friends :-)

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Neal Beck
Sent: Freitag, 12. März 2010 10:36
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: bysort: and subscripts

Incidentally, the answer to my question of yesterday opened up a whole new
world to me and greatly simplified my dealing with panel data. Perhaps I am
the only person on this list who did not know how bysort redefined the
meaning of _n. If you have panels and have not played with this, I heartily
recommend Nick Cox's 2002 SJ piece on some very cute uses of bysort with
panels.

Thanks to Nick and Maarten Buis for pointing out this trick to me. If only I
had RTFM'ed year ago!

NEal

Neal Beck
On leave AY 2009 at the Instituto Juan March, Madrid Spain