Re: st: How Do I divide the sample into quintiles in Stata?

From   Kibrom Tafere <>
Subject   Re: st: How Do I divide the sample into quintiles in Stata?
Date   Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:34 +0300

1. If the expenditure variable is 'exp' and 'weight' is the weighting
variable, then to create the income quintiles type

xtile quintile=exp[aw=weight], n(5)

you can use the 'if' command if necessary. i.e

xtile quintile=exp[aw=weight] if------, n(5)

2. you can tabulate your expenditure vairable by the income quintiles. if
the number of visits is labled as 'visit'

table exp, c(n visit)