RE: st: RE: about macro's double quotes

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: about macro's double quotes
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:08:26 +0100

BTW, I do not get any complaints from Stata, whether -varabbrev- is on or

set obs 1
set varabbrev off
query other
gen gr5pnhmy=1
gen gr5pnhm=1

set obs 1
set varabbrev on
query other
gen gr5pnhmy=1
gen gr5pnhm=1

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Dienstag, 9. März 2010 22:57
Subject: RE: st: RE: about macro's double quotes

I already provided an answer. I think that Guang needs to

. set varabbrev off

Stata objects to an instruction to -generate- new variable -gr5pnhm-
because it interprets that as an abbreviation of existing variable

Martin Weiss

I would be surprised if Stata indeed complained about "r5pnhm5y", I
guess it
complains about "r5pnhm5". Second time through the inner loop, you want
Stata to refuse to -generate- because the -if- expression is not
but Stata does still (try to) -generate-, and fill the new var with
- due to the -if-...

set obs 100

local set "md me"

foreach el in `set'{
	gen x`el'=1 if "`el'"=="md"

G. Dai

thanks for the reference, Martin.
yeah, the outer loop is redundant. But I do want to know why that "if"
doesn't work.  it is wired to a beginner...

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Martin Weiss <>

. If you want to read up on -macro-s, check out manual [U], section
> What do you want to achieve with your outer loop? You let it cycle
> three elements of a -global-. The -gen- and -replace- statements
> second loop are supposed to be executed only for the first element of
> -global-. Would it not be much easier to drag the -gen-/-replace-
> out of the inner loop, and ditch the outer one? Maybe this is taken
out of
> context, but from what is visible in your post, the outer loop is
> redundant...
G. Dai