Re: st: programming error with -generate-

From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.edu>
To   "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>, "'statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu'" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: programming error with -generate-
Date   Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:50:57 -0500

At 04:31 PM 3/8/2010, Visintainer, Paul wrote:
. gen y = 1.2x + 6   <----- why isn't there an error here?

When I do this, y = 72 for all cases. So 1.2x must be getting interpreted as 1.2 * 10 = 12. I don't know why, but just follow Martin's advice and make it

gen y = 1.2*x + 6

Maybe this is a "feature" but if so it doesn't seem like a good one, since this could be an easy mistake to make.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam