Re: st: programming error with -generate-

From   Partha Deb <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: programming error with -generate-
Date   Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:48:49 -0500

For even more head scratching, try this:

clear all

forvalues i=1/6 {
set obs 10
gen y = 1.2x + `i'
tab y
drop _all
}

Partha

Visintainer, Paul wrote:
I have a question which I hope merely reflects that I'm missing something obvious or a syntax that I don't recognize.  I'm using version 10.1 MP on a PC.  I've run this on three different PCs and get the same result.  Why doesn't the generate command for "y" give an error?  The -generate- command gives errors for y1, y2, and y3.  Also, I don't understand the output for -tab- command for "y".  Is there some syntax that I'm not aware of?

What am I missing here?

. clear
. set obs 10
obs was 0, now 10

. range x 1 10
. range t 1 10
. range w 1 10

. gen y = 1.2x + 6   <----- why isn't there an error here?

. gen y1 = 1.2t + 6
2t invalid name
r(198);

. gen y2 = 1.2w + 6
2w invalid name
r(198);

. gen y3 = 2x + 6
2x invalid name
r(198);

. tab y

          y |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
         72 |         10      100.00      100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
      Total |         10      100.00

___________________________________
Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
Baystate Medical Center
Division of Academic Affairs - 3rd Floor
Springfield, MA 01199

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender immediately or by telephone at (413) 794-0000 and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments. For further information regarding Baystate Health's privacy policy, please visit our Internet web site at http://www.baystatehealth.com.

Partha Deb
Professor of Economics
Hunter College
ph:  (212) 772-5435
fax: (212) 772-5398
http://urban.hunter.cuny.edu/~deb/

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds.
	- Bob Marley