Re: st: RE: RE: calculating standard deviation of age at death from period life tables

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: calculating standard deviation of age at death from period life tables
Date   Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:42:23 -0500

Tony is on the right track.  This requires a life-table solution.  The
SD for age at death in period (or "current") life tables  is that of
the ages at death for a synthetic cohort whose age-specific death
rates are those observed for the period, in this case 2004.  This
calculation requires information about the numbers at risk in each age
during the year, not just about the numbers who died at each age.

I've not constructed a period life table in Stata, but see:

http://data.princeton.edu/eco572/periodlt.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-02/msg00127.html

Getting from these results to the SD will take some work: from the
table probabilities estimate the mean at death m; then estimate the
mean of (age -m)^2

-Steve

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Lachenbruch, Peter
<Peter.Lachenbruch@oregonstate.edu> wrote:
> Am I missing something?  Doesn't the Greenwood formula give this to you, and isn't it in the ltable command?

Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477