st: mfx & postfile

From   Dimitri Szerman <>
Subject   st: mfx & postfile
Date   Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:14:15 +0000

I am trying to run many probit regressions and post the marginal
effects/standard errors to a new file. Here's what I am (within a
loop) trying to do:

postfile `temname' mex1 mex2 sex1 sex2 using myfile.dta, replace

probit y x1 x2

post `temname' $exp
postclose `temname'

My question is: what should be in Sexp? mfx returns matrices e(Xmfx_dydx)
and e(Xmfx_se_dydx) with the marginal effects and standard errors. I don't
know how to access them in this context. For example, if instead I was

regress y x1 x2

then $exp would simply be

global $exp (_b[x1]) (_b[x2]) (_se[x1]) (_se[x2])

but with mfx (or margin) I can't access the marginal effects/std errors so

I could also use margins, as I am running Stata 11. Any help is much