st: Re: creating constraints in panel data

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: creating constraints in panel data
Date   Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:52:34 -0500

On Mar 5, 2010, at 2:33 AM, Valeriano wrote:

> The way I understand your answer, I must regress a new equation (lnY - lnX3) = a (lnX1-lnX3) + b(lnX2-lnX3)+...., which I presume is the same as ln(Y/X3)= a ln(X1/X3) + b ln(X2/X3)+....
> And after this regression I use the command "lincom", but I do not understand well the syntax of the lincom command.
> could you please help me with the correct syntax?

That is the correct regression, upon which you have imposed the constraint a + b + c = 1, therefore c = 1 - a - b

if you
regress yx3 x1x3 x2x3   (naming the transformed variables in that manner) then

lincom 1 - x1x3 - x2x3

will compute a point and interval estimate of c.

You might find an econometrics book such as Wooldridge, Introductory Econometrics, useful.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |