st: RE: Household Budget Surveys

From   "David Radwin" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Household Budget Surveys
Date   Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:59:57 -0800 (PST)

For #2, try Sergiy Radyakin's -usespss-, available from SSC.

. ssc describe usespss

For #3, try Ian Watson's excellent -tabout-, also available at SSC, to
create formatted tables as tab-separated text files that can be easily
opened in Excel and then pasted or otherwise transferred to Word. There is
a learning curve, but it will pay off if you have to produce a lot of

. ssc describe tabout

Be sure to download the helpful PDF documentation as well as the program.

A trick I use for importing tab-separated text is to name the file with an
.xls extension, like Table1.xls, so that I can double-click the file to
open it. Excel will still complain that the format does not match the
extension, but at least this saves the tedious multi-step task of
converting text to columns.

David Radwin
Research Associate
MPR Associates, Inc.