st: RE: percent symbols in catplot

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: percent symbols in catplot
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:47:49 +0100

You can always go for a kludge:

sysuse auto, clear
contract rep78, percent(perc)
gen strpercent=string(perc, "%4.2fc")+ " %"
twoway (bar perc rep78)  /*
 */ (scatter perc rep78, mlabcolor(black) msymbol(none)  /*
 */ mlabsize(medium) mlabel(strpercent)  /*
 */ mlabposition(12)), legend(off)  /*
 */ yla(0 "0%" 10 "10%" 20 "20%" 30 "30%" 40 "40%" 50 "50%")

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Eric Booth
Sent: Freitag, 26. Februar 2010 21:12
Subject: st: percent symbols in catplot

I am using -catplot- (from SSC) on Stata 11 MP for Mac OSX.  I'd like to
show the percent sign in the label for each of the category bars when using
the "percent" option.

For example,
webuse auto, clear
catplot bar rep78,  percent blabel(bar, position(outside) format(%9.1f))
catplot bar rep78,  by( for)  percent blabel(bar, position(outside)
shows the percent of each rep78 category out of 100, but I can't get it to
show the % sign, so it could say "43.5%", etc.

Using graph editor, I found that I can add a % sign to the bar label text
manually (though I'd rather not have to do that for many graphs), but after
looking through the barlabel options help documentation, I couldn't figure
out how to change the bar label automatically.  (I had the idea that if I
could override the bar labels like you can the text for a key in a legend
then I could calculate and substitute these values into the -catplot-
command in a loop, but I haven't found a way to do this using the barlabel

Another option might be to write something that automates those graph
recorder grec file changes (ex:  when I add the "%" by hand, it issues the

.plotregion1.barlabels[3].text.Arrpush 43.5%

in the recording), but this is a pain.  Any suggestions?

Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
Office: +979.845.6754