st: RE: Display of Shea's partial R^2 in ivreg2 output

Subject   st: RE: Display of Shea's partial R^2 in ivreg2 output
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:04:05 -0000

Tom,

The answer to this is interesting because it turns out that Shea's
partial R-sq is very closely related to the R-sq that is a byproduct of
calculating the Angrist-Pischke first-stage F-stats.

Specifically, here is how you calculate the AP partial R-sq vs. the Shea
partial R-sq:

A-P R-sq:

1.  Get the fitted values of the uninteresting endogenous regressors.
2.  Partial (1) out of the endogenous regressor of interest.
3.  Partial (1) out of the excluded instruments.
4.  Regress (2) on (3).
5.  R-sq is AP R-sq.

Shea partial R-sq

1.  Get the fitted values of the uninteresting endogenous regressors.
2.  Partial the ACTUAL uninteresting endogenous vars out of the
endogenous regressor of interest.
3.  Partial (1) out of the excluded instruments.
4.  Regress (2) on (3).
5.  R-sq is Shea R-sq.

Below is a demonstration with the toy auto dataset.

Because the A-P approach has a sounder theoretical foundation than the
Shea approach, we decided to drop the Shea partial R-sq from the main
output in favour of the A-P stats.

Cheers,
Mark

******************************

sysuse auto, clear

* AP stat

* 1.  Get the fitted values of the uninteresting endogenous regressors.
* 2.  Partial (1) out of the endogenous regressor of interest.
* 3.  Partial (1) out of the excluded instruments.
* 4.  Regress (2) on (3).
* 5.  R-sq is AP R-sq.

qui reg weight turn trunk length displacement
capture predict double weight_hat, xb

qui reg mpg weight_hat
capture predict double mpg_what_resid, resid

qui reg turn weight_hat
capture predict turn_what_resid, resid
qui reg trunk weight_hat
capture predict trunk_what_resid, resid
qui reg length weight_hat
capture predict length_what_resid, resid

reg mpg_what_resid turn_what_resid trunk_what_resid length_what_resid,
nocons dof(69)
di e(r2)

* Shea partial R-sq

* 1.  Get the fitted values of the uninteresting endogenous regressors.
* 2.  Partial the ACTUAL uninteresting endogenous vars out of the
endogenous regressor of interest.
* 3.  Partial (1) out of the excluded instruments.
* 4.  Regress (2) on (3).
* 5.  R-sq is Shea R-sq.

qui reg mpg weight
capture predict double mpg_wactual_resid, resid

reg mpg_wactual_resid turn_what_resid trunk_what_resid
length_what_resid, nocons dof(69)
di e(r2)

* Check Shea vs AP partial R-sqs from ivreg2

qui ivreg2 price (mpg weight = turn trunk length displacement), ffirst
mat first=e(first)
mat APr2=first["APr2",1]
mat sheapr2=first["sheapr2",1]
mat list APr2
mat list sheapr2

registered under charity number SC000278.