st: lat long coordinates and spmap

From   "Vitorino, Maria Ana" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: lat long coordinates and spmap
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 03:41:50 -0500

Dear statalist users,

I have some locations defined in lat/long (i.e. decimals) that I would like to superimpose on a map created usind spmap.
How can I achieve this? Do I need to convert the decimals to UTM before I use spmap? If so, what is the most efficient way of doing it?

Basically, I would like to to the same as in the following example used in the spmap help file but my corresponding "Italy-Capitals.dta" file has the lat and long for each capital.

  . use "Italy-OutlineData.dta", clear
    . spmap using "Italy-OutlineCoordinates.dta", id(id) fc(bluishgray)  ///
        ocolor(none)                                                     ///
        title("Provincial capitals" " ", size(*0.9) color(white))        ///
        point(data("Italy-Capitals.dta") xcoord(xcoord)                  ///
        ycoord(ycoord) fcolor(emerald))                                  ///
        plotregion(margin(medium) icolor(dknavy) color(dknavy))          ///
        graphregion(icolor(dknavy) color(dknavy))

Any help is appreciated,