Re: st: Breaking one string variable into several new variables

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Breaking one string variable into several new variables
Date   Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:02:24 -0600

It's easier to fix your problem by importing the data correctly--it appears that Stata doesn't understand your data structure.
 Your data are a .txt file, but how are the delimited? (It looks like a tab from your example)

What command did you use to import them?  You may want to try opening the file up in a spreadsheet program and saving them as a
tab-delimited or a comma-delimited file so that you know how to properly specify your import command (e.g., insheet, infile, etc).
Also, you could try converting the file to .dta or other filetypes using Stat Transfer.  The point is that whatever import command you
used did not tell Stata about the correct delimiter and so it placed all the observations into one column (v1).

Your data structure looks consistent, so I doubt that one of the import commands just won't work for you, but if not,
then try using the -split- command rather than the -substr- function.  So with the first observation:
******
clear

inp str90 var1
"oilseed farming                 100             cotton farming          2000              .1"
end

split var1
li
*****