st: AW: create a dataset or vector of variable names

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: create a dataset or vector of variable names
Date   Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:36:04 +0100

sysuse auto, clear
d, varlist
gen str30 varnames=""

loc i 1
foreach var of varlist `r(varlist)'{
	replace varnames="`var'" in `i'
	loc ++i

keep varnames
l in 1/20

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Sheena Sullivan
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2010 17:27
Betreff: st: create a dataset or vector of variable names

I would like to create a dataset of the variable names in a dataset (could
also be a vector).  I have created data using matrices and would like to
append it to my actual data, but I want to avoid having to manually type up
the variable names, which I believe I will need to have in order to append
the created data to the actual data.

In SAS, I can do this using a proc contents step
proc contents data=dataset
	out=varname position noprint;

which creates a dataset call varname.

but I'm trying to move away from SAS these days!

I read that I can get a variable list using
describe, varlist

but I can't figure how I can then use r(varlist) to assign variable names.
What I would ideally like is something like this:
mat colnames mymatrix = r(varlist)

if you get what I mean.  In SAS it is simply a matter of assigning
[colnames=varlist] when creating a dataset from a matrix.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate as I have more than 100 variables.