RE: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values
Date   Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:01:03 -0000

How do I list observations in a group that differ on a variable?

explains some related technique. The problem there is just the
complement of that here.

bysort id (somevar) : gen byte same = somevar[1] == somevar[_N]

tags panels within which -somevar- is identical by 1 and those in which
it differs by 0.

Thank you to those who suggested using egen and using the first record
for an individual.

Quoting Martin Weiss <>:

> If this is indeed Dan`s intent, he may also like -egen, tag()-.

Jeph Herrin