RE: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values
Date   Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:01:03 -0000

How do I list observations in a group that differ on a variable?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/diff.html

explains some related technique. The problem there is just the
complement of that here.

bysort id (somevar) : gen byte same = somevar[1] == somevar[_N]

tags panels within which -somevar- is identical by 1 and those in which
it differs by 0.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

dstahler@ucla.edu

Thank you to those who suggested using egen and using the first record
for an individual.

Quoting Martin Weiss <martin.weiss1@gmx.de>:

> If this is indeed Dan`s intent, he may also like -egen, tag()-.

Jeph Herrin