st: RE: How to treat a variable that switches from being endogenous to exogenous in a dynamic panel data model

Subject   st: RE: How to treat a variable that switches from being endogenous to exogenous in a dynamic panel data model
Date   Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:48:42 -0000

Dev,

I think you're saying that your setup is

Y_t = X_t*B + u_t

E(X_t*u_t) \ne 0 for t <  t~

E(X_t*u_t)   = 0 for t >= t~

So X is endogenous for t before t~, and exogenous afterwards.

My instinct is to set this up as two equations, and impose the
constraint that B in the first equation (where X is endogeous) is equal
to X in the second equation (where X is exogenous).

Imposing the constraint gets you the efficiency gains you want, and that
means systems estimation.  But I think you may be able to do it in a
single equation estimation, by defining your instruments cleverly.

Say Z is the instrument for X for t < t~.  You don't want it to be the
instrument for the later period, so create a new instrument, Z1, which
has zeros in the later period.

For the later period, t >= t~, the instrument for X is just X.  But you
don't want it to be the instrument for the earlier period, so create
another new instrument, Z2, which has zeros in the earlier period.

Then estimate using IV/GMM, instrumenting X with Z1 and Z2.

If you've got a constant term, you want the coefficient on that to
change value before/after t~ as well.

Here's an example using the sample dataset idle2 that uses lagged idle
as an instrument for time<=15, and treats idle as exogenous for time>15.
The -first- option confirms that the coefficient on Z2 is =1:

**********************
webuse idle2, clear
tsset time

gen Z1=l.idle if time<=15
replace Z1=0 if time>15

gen Z2=idle if time>15
replace Z2=0 if time<=15

gen consdummy=(time>15)

ivreg2 usr (idle = Z1 Z2 consdummy), first
************************

HTH and sorry for the long wait,
Mark

>  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Dev
> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of
> an attachment may still contain software viruses which could
> damage your computer system:
> you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> communications with the University of Nottingham may be
> monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

registered under charity number SC000278.