Re: st: Scalling scatter plots together with by-option

Subject   Re: st: Scalling scatter plots together with by-option
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:28:20 -0500

Jonathan Schulz <[email protected]>:
You can certainly generate a variable that captures the min and max
frequencies, and you can also make your own kind of graph, where the
markers are sized in a way that is actually informative about relative
frequencies, e.g.

sysuse auto, clear
egen f=count(rep78), by(turn foreign)
sc turn rep78 [fw=f], by(foreign) name(f)
su f, mean
loc max=r(max)
g x=rep78
bys foreign turn rep78: replace x=x+(_n-1)/(`max'+1)/2
sc turn x, by(foreign) ms(S)

though the above approach requires an -expand- to sum of fweights or
something similar.  Without expanding, you could cycle over groups of
levels of fweights and make a bunch of separate overlaid scatterplots
with marker sizes set appropriately (with no fweight specified).  What
is the distribution of fweights like in your data, by group?