st: variable label length limit

From   Marcus L Britton <>
Subject   st: variable label length limit
Date   Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:41:02 -0600 (CST)

Is there anyway around the 80-character limit for variable labels (I'm using Stata SE, version 10)?  I know people have posted this question to the list before (5-7 years ago), but I'm hoping someone has figured out a work around in the meantime.  My issue is that I sometimes work with both students and colleagues who use SPSS and sometimes come across SPSS files that have lengthy variable names (e.g., the full text of a survey question) that can easily extend to twice or more the maximum number of characters supported by Stata--this information gets lost when using StatTransfer to convert from Stata to SPSS.

Marcus Britton

Marcus L. Britton
Department of Sociology
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee