Re: st: constructing and implementing logistic regression

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: constructing and implementing logistic regression
Date   Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:14:53 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 4/2/10, Mike Smith wrote:
> I am trying to do propensity score matching, but first need
> to do logistic regression and that's what I am have trouble
> with. suppose I have a model as follows: gpa (the dependent
> variable) and sex and race being the independent variables.

This suggests that you think you can make propensity weights
by estimating a logit on a continuous variable. logistic
regression is a model for a binary depedent variable, so this
way you make propensity scores when your treatment variable
is binary. Estimating a causal effects for continous
explanatory variables is much harder. See for instance Stephen
L. Morgan and Christopher Winship (2007) Counterfactuals and
Causal Inference: Methods and Principles for Social Research.
Cambridge University Press. I am not recomending that you
turn gpa in a binary variable, in most cases that just doesn't
make substantive sense. The book I refered to earlier does
provide some options for continous explanatory variables.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen