st: display _request(macname)

From   "Carl Mastropaolo" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: display _request(macname)
Date   Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:12:55 -0500

I am modifying a .do file graciously sent by Tirthankar so that the .do file
requests the alpha value to be applied for a specific analysis.  I would
like to run the file and then enter an alpha value at will using the command
on the console.

I am using the display _request command.  Execution of the command stops the
.do file, as it should, awaiting the entered value for alpha.  After I enter
the alpha value, the .do file runs to completion perfectly except it always
uses an alpha value which I had previously entered.  If I start anew with a
fresh STATA session, running the .do file, even after entering a value at
the prompt, results in the error message "alpha not found".

Obviously, the value I am entering on the console is not being preserved by

Any help?