st: shared frailty

From   "V. Martini" <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: shared frailty
Date   Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:57:27 +0000

Dear Users,

I'm estimating a survival analysis parametric model.
The dataset includes different countries, so I have introduced a dummy for each country.

Now, I would like to introduce frailty shared at country level in my model, after having removed the dummies for country: does it make any sense, or are the frailty parameters simply going to "replace" the dummies?

I other words: introducing in my model

 -country dummy or

-no country dummy + frailty (shared are country level)

are equivalent procedure?

Many thanks,