Re: st: marginal effects in biprobit and average treatment effect in switching probit

Subject   Re: st: marginal effects in biprobit and average treatment effect in switching probit
Date   Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:03:17 -0500

Paula Albuquerque <[email protected]>:
-mfx- is not really appropriate (and -margins- will refuse to participate).
You need to fully specify what margin you are thinking about to get a
sensible marginal effect. Try calculating the marginal effect of X using
predictions after your -biprobit- and after the user-written command.
E.g.you might want to calculate the conditional prob of Y=1 given X=1
less the cond prob of Y=1 given X=0, letting X=1 and X=0 in turn for
each observation, and then averaging over observations.

sysuse nlsw88, clear
g x=race==1
g y=married
biprobit (y=x grade south smsa) (x=industry occupation union)
mfx
* margins, dydx(*)
g wasx=x
replace x=1