st: update hangroot available from SSC

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: update hangroot available from SSC
Date   Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:46:21 +0000 (GMT)

An update of the -hangroot- package is thanks to Kit Baum
now available from SSC. -hangroot- produces a graph comparing
the distribution of variable with a theoretical distribution
by "hanging" the histogram of that variable from the theoretical
distribution. This way the deviations from the theoretical
distribution become visible as deviations from the x-axis. This
makes spotting patterns in these deviations easier than when the
theoretical curve is overlaid on a regular histogram, as in
that case we need to compare relative to a curve rather than
the straight and horizontal x-axis. A more complete
description with many example graphs can be found at:
<http://www.maartenbuis.nl/software/hangroot.html>.

In this update I added the possibility to use this graph to
compare the distribution of a variable across two groups, e.g.
the wage distribution across people with and without a college
degree. One of these groups plays the role of the theoretical
distribution, and the the histogram of the other group "hangs"
from it.

One can install this update by typing in Stata -ssc instal
hangroot, replace-.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie