Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:44:25 -0500

*nux uses virtual memory, and so can allocate (and use)
more memory than RAM. Back when RAM was expensive I recall
running Stata (6? 7?) on a special purpose SunOS machine
I bought for a project; it had a massive 100mb of RAM, and
I could allocate several times that to Stata. Took forever
to run, though. Cost $13k in 1997 dollars...

Ulrich Kohler wrote:
Hm, I always thought I can get even more memory than I physically have. I tried
forval x = 3000(100)10000 {
	di "Trying to set memory to `x' Mb"
 	set mem `x'M
}

on my 64-bit Linux system with 8GB of memory without any problems. (I
haven't, loaded any data though)

Uli