RE: st: Think graphically, think logarithmically

From   "Verkuilen, Jay" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Think graphically, think logarithmically
Date   Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:52:09 -0500

Dirk Enzmann wrote:

>>This goes even further back to Weber-Fechner's law

   noticability = c*ln(intensity_of_sensation)

or to Fechner (1860), Elemente der Psychophysik.<<

Indeed, as was said in another post, though there are plenty of micro-scale objections to the Weber-Fechner law.

The main point about Roger Shepard is the fact that he did this specifically with distances between cities based on subjectively assessed distances, thus the "New Yorker's View of the world" isn't just narcissism (though there's plenty of that going around here in good old NYC, let me tell you...), but a general property of perceptions. For the life of me I can't find this map though. I suspect it's in one of my multivariate analysis books that have been borrowed from "Professor's Library"....