st: RE: Re: Command to identify number of unique individuals

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Command to identify number of unique individuals
Date   Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:40:50 -0000

Thanks to José Maria for his publicity.

The program -distinct- on SSC is in fact by Gary Longton and myself. Also, the version on SSC is superseded by that from the SJ, as -njc_stuff- from SSC does indicate. The earlier version remains available for any people still on Stata 7.

This problem has arisen many times and various broadly similar programs have been written, as other answers in this thread indicated.

. search distinct

gives various materials. The last-mentioned paper is (I believe) the fullest discussion of the problem. Among other things, it gives reasons why "unique" is _not_ the best word to use here!

Keyword search

          Search:  (1) Official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and STBs

Search of official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and STBs

[P]     levelsof  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Levels of variable
        (help levelsof)

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Calculating the number of distinct values
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        9/06    How do I calculate the number of distinct
                values seen so far?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/distinctvalues.html

FAQ     . . . . . . . . .  Counting distinct strings across a set of variables
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        7/04    How do I count the number of distinct strings
                across a set of variables?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/distinctstrings.html

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Number of distinct observations
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . N. J. Cox and G. Longton
        4/02    How do I compute the number of distinct observations?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/distinct.html

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced

SJ-8-4  dm0042  . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Distinct observations
        (help distinct if installed)  . . . . . .  N. J. Cox and G. M. Longton
        Q4/08   SJ 8(4):557--568
        shows how to answer questions about distinct observations
        from first principles; provides a convenience command

On the other hand, I've never used SAS and can't vouch for identical aims here.

José Maria (28 December 2009)

may be -distinct-, from SSC, writen by Nick Cox?

From: "Weichle, Thomas" <[email protected]>