Re: st: Cannot allocate more than 779 MB to STATA11

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Cannot allocate more than 779 MB to STATA11
Date   Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:18:54 -0500

At 05:50 AM 12/26/2009, Roland Andersson wrote:
[...]

I have win XP 32 bit and 2 MB of memory.

I suppose you really meant 2 GB.

With Stata9 I can allocate 1200 MB of memory but with Stata11 only 770
MB. This is a significant difference. I often needed 850-900 MB of
memory in my analyses, but can not do this with Stata11.

OK that I maybe can tweak some more memory by closing down unnecessary
processes, but that is not the point.

I think Stata should inform customers about the larger program
overhead in Stata11 that decreases the amount of memory that can be
allocated. This is a disappointment as I did not calculate that I need
to change OS to 64 bit and also order a 64 bit Stata11 in order to
make the same analyses I used to do with my old setting.
[...]

I had a similar experience in moving from Stata 9 to Stata 10. I have no experience with Stata 11, but I imagine the same issue comes up again.

I can only suggest that you carefully review how you use your data space; do you need all the variables? can you -compress-? do you need all the observations? Possibly, you can do some data-manipulation steps in Stata 9, after which the data may take up much less room; then switch to Stata 11.

HTH
--David