Statalist


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: Cannot allocate more than 779 MB to STATA11


From   roland andersson <rolandersson@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Cannot allocate more than 779 MB to STATA11
Date   Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:50:34 +0100

sorry for spelling errors:

I have to make the same question again.

I have win XP 32 bit and 2 MB of memory.

With Stata9 I can allocate 1200 MB of memory but with Stata11 only 770
MB. This is a significant difference. I often needed 850-900 MB of
memory in my analyses, but can not do this with Stata11.

OK that I maybe can tweak some more memory by closing down unnecessary
processes, but that is not the point.

I think Stata should inform customers about the larger program
overhead in Stata11 that decreases the amount of memory that can be
allocated. This is a disappointment as I did not calculate that I need
to change OS to 64 bit and also order a 64 bit Stata11 in order to
make the same analyses I used to do with my old setting.

Or am I missing something?

With Stata 9 I can set memory to 1200 MB:

. set mem 1210m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 1200m
(1228800k)

. memory
                                                 bytes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Details of set memory usage
   overhead (pointers)                               0        0.00%
   data                                              0        0.00%
                                       ----------------------------
   data + overhead                                   0        0.00%
   free                                  1,258,291,192      100.00%
                                       ----------------------------
   Total allocated                       1,258,291,192      100.00%
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other memory usage
   system overhead                             745,154
   set matsize usage                           337,600
   programs, saved results, etc.                   105
                                       ---------------
   Total                                     1,082,859
-------------------------------------------------------
Grand total                               1,259,374,051

.
With my new Stata11 I can only allocate 770 MB of memory:

. set mem 780m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 770m
(788480k)

. memory
                                                 bytes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Details of set memory usage
   overhead (pointers)                               0        0.00%
   data                                              0        0.00%
                                       ----------------------------
   data + overhead                                   0        0.00%
   free                                    807,403,512      100.00%
                                       ----------------------------
   Total allocated                         807,403,512      100.00%
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other memory usage
   system overhead                           1,600,258
   set matsize usage                         1,315,200
   programs, saved results, etc.                   105
                                       ---------------
   Total                                     2,915,563
-------------------------------------------------------
Grand total                                 810,319,075


Roland Andersson


2009/12/26 roland andersson <rolandersson@gmail.com>:
> I have to make the same question again.
>
> I have win XP 32 bit and 2 MB of memory.
>
> With Stata9 I can allocate 1200 MB of memory but with Stata9 only 770
> MB. This is a significant difference. I often needed 850-900 MB of
> memory in my analyses, but can not do this with Stata11.
>
> OK that I maybe can tweak some more memory by closing down unnecessary
> processes, but that is not the point.
>
> I think Stata should inform customers about the larger program
> overhead in Stata11 that decreases the amount of memory that can be
> allocated. This is a disappointment as I did not calculate that I need
> to change OS to 64 bit and also order a 64 bit Stata11 in order to
> make the same analyses I used to do with my old setting.
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> With Stata 9 I can set memory to 1200 MB:
>
> . set mem 1210m
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
>
> . set mem 1200m
> (1228800k)
>
> . memory
>                                                  bytes
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Details of set memory usage
>    overhead (pointers)                               0        0.00%
>    data                                              0        0.00%
>                                        ----------------------------
>    data + overhead                                   0        0.00%
>    free                                  1,258,291,192      100.00%
>                                        ----------------------------
>    Total allocated                       1,258,291,192      100.00%
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Other memory usage
>    system overhead                             745,154
>    set matsize usage                           337,600
>    programs, saved results, etc.                   105
>                                        ---------------
>    Total                                     1,082,859
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Grand total                               1,259,374,051
>
> .
> With my new Stata11 I can only allocate 790 MB of memory:
>
> . set mem 780m
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
>
> . set mem 770m
> (788480k)
>
> . memory
>                                                  bytes
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Details of set memory usage
>    overhead (pointers)                               0        0.00%
>    data                                              0        0.00%
>                                        ----------------------------
>    data + overhead                                   0        0.00%
>    free                                    807,403,512      100.00%
>                                        ----------------------------
>    Total allocated                         807,403,512      100.00%
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Other memory usage
>    system overhead                           1,600,258
>    set matsize usage                         1,315,200
>    programs, saved results, etc.                   105
>                                        ---------------
>    Total                                     2,915,563
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Grand total                                 810,319,075
>
>
> Roland Andersson
>
>
> 2009/12/25 Robert A Yaffee <bob.yaffee@nyu.edu>:
>> Neil,
>>   I'm running a quad core 64bit laptop with 8GB of ram and was able to
>> set mem at 7G without any difficulty.
>>   - Bob
>>
>> Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
>> Research Professor
>> Silver School of Social Work
>> New York University
>>
>> Biosketch: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/Biosketch2009.pdf
>>
>> CV:  http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/vita.pdf
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:28 am
>> Subject: Re: st: Cannot allocate more than 779 MB to STATA11
>> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>>
>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM, roland andersson
>>>  <rolandersson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  > That does not explain the difference between STATA9 and STATA11. I
>>>  > often use 850MB is STATA9 and I assume without using virtual memory,
>>>  > but STATA11 just refuse to allocate memory.
>>>  >
>>>  > Has STATA11 larger overhead?
>>>
>>>  No idea, why not check this yourself?  I believe under M$-Windows you
>>>  can find this out by Ctrl+Alt+Del and then selecting to see active
>>>  processes (or something similar, can't remember and not on M$-Windows
>>>  at present).
>>>
>>>  BTW its Stata not STATA (see
>>>  http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#spell)
>>>
>>>  Neil
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  "I've got a perfect body, 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat" -
>>>  'Folding Chair' Regina Spektor
>>>
>>>  Email - nshephard@gmail.com
>>>  Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/
>>>  Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/
>>>  *
>>>  *   For searches and help try:
>>>  *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>>  *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>>  *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/



© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index