st: -doubmass- updated on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -doubmass- updated on SSC
Date   Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:50:02 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum, the -doubmass- package has been updated on SSC.
Stata 8 is required. Use -ssc- or -adoupdate- to install or update if
interested.

As any users of Stata 6 or 7 have had a window of 10 years within which
to download the previous version, we've cavalierly overwritten the
previous files.

-doubmass- is for double mass plots, which may mean nothing unless you
have ever worked in hydrology. Double mass plots are widely used in
hydrology for checking the consistency of time series, such as the
rainfall measured at adjacent gauges, but nothing stops them being
useful outside that kind of application.

I've not noticed any connection between the small literature on double
mass plots and a larger literature on cumulative sum charts, but I'd
glad to hear of counter-examples or references to these plots under any
other name.