Re: st: .dat file doesn't work on my home PC stata

From   Richard Williams <>
To   "" <>, "" <>
Subject   Re: st: .dat file doesn't work on my home PC stata
Date   Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:24:01 -0500

At 05:09 PM 12/13/2009, Dalhia wrote:

I have a whole folder of .dat files created using the Stata in my office computer. I bought Stata for my home PC (intercooled version 9.2), and installed it, but when I try to open my files, I get the following error message:

"file J:\dissertation2906.dta not Stata format"

thanks. any advice will be appreciated.

My first guess is that you have a newer version of Stata in your office than at home. At work, check out -help saveold-. Or buy a program like Stat/Transfer that lets you easily convert files between different formats.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu