Re: st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?
Date   Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:17:04 -0500

If you are analyzing a subpopulation, you should use the -subpop-
option in Stata's survey commands. The only exception that I can think
of is, if your analysis is confined to a single, small, subpopulation.

For choosing a centering constant, you have two possibilities: 1) a
simple whole number close to the population mean or median; for
example, if a mean is 102.5, I would use "100" 2) the population mean.
You can estimate this by using -svy: mean-. I recommend the first
choice. If you are analyzing several subpopulations,  use the same
centering constant for each, even if the means differ. Otherwise you
will have a difficult time comparing the intercepts.  If you are
analyzing only one subpopulation, use a constant close to its mean.

I know nothing about the Add Health data set, but you should check
whether the original sampling weights were post-stratified or "raked"
, so that sample estimates more closely match the population
estimates. If so, and you are analyzing a single subpopulation, you
should consider using only the original sampling weights, not the
post-stratified weights.

Luckily, help is close at hand for making this and other decisions:
the excellent Survey Research Center at Maryland.

-Steve