st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?

From   "Castellanos, Karen" <>
Subject   st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?
Date   Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:28:56 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student that just found this listserv online. I am using STATA to analyze data from the Add Health dataset for my dissertation. For it, I must enter sampling weights & the primary sampling units to correct for design based effects. Although I know how to center variables, I am uncertain what is the best way to specify my subpopluation when I center. Should I use the subpop option? I am also uncertain regarding whether the sampling weights need to be taken into account and how when centering my variables. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Karen Castellanos-Brown, MSW
PhD Candidate
Adjunct Instructor
University of Maryland School of Social Work