RE: st: RE: Is there a command similar to "bys" if I want to gsort the variables?

Subject   RE: st: RE: Is there a command similar to "bys" if I want to gsort the variables?
Date   Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:08:11 +0100

<>

"...why did the result of "d, short" in your typing show it was sorted by
order, not year area?"

As [D], p. 260 says: " Stata ... does not understand descending sorts (gsort
is an ado-file). To
remedy this problem, gsort's generate() option will create a new grouping
variable that is in
ascending order (thus satisfying Stata's narrow definition) and that is, in
terms of the groups it defines,
identical to that of the true sort variables"

HTH
Martin