st: RE: "no; data in memory would be lost" warning after preserve?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: "no; data in memory would be lost" warning after preserve?
Date   Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:30:48 -0000

My guess is that -xtdata- has no idea that you have just typed
-preserve-.
I don't think -preserve- has any side-effect in terms of setting a flag
that Stata can now be destructive willy-nilly.

Why should it?

-xtdata- is just being conservative in your best interests. You just
need to spell out that you know that you are being sensible. Specify the
-clear- option.

(I answered this by looking at the help for Stata 11, but it's likely
that the answer is the same for Gabi.)

Gabi Huiber

I have a balanced panel of weekly lottery ticket sales.

I am trying to do a bit of exploratory analysis, and I attempted a
within scatterplot as done in Micreconometrics using Stata, by Cameron
and Trivedi, Stata Press 2009, at p. 243. But I get a strange error
message:

. preserve
. xtdata, fe
no; data in memory would be lost
r(4);

Why would I be warned about data loss after preserve? This is Stata
9.2 MP. I would appreciate any ideas.