Re: st: How to handle sample selection bias

Subject   Re: st: How to handle sample selection bias
Date   Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:32:07 -0500

Hugh Colaco <[email protected]>:
Selection on X (one of the RHS vars) does not introduce bias per se;
just estimate for those who work, and plan to generalize results to
that population.  The main problem you face is one of endogeneity, due
most obviously to simultaneity (those with high wealth may have
different reservation wages which affects their observed wage) and
less obviously to measurement error (a big concern with measured wages
on the RHS). You should find excluded instruments for wage (findit
ivreg2 and read the help file and references). Another problem is the
huge skew in wealth, noting also that wealth may be zero or negative.
You might consider a cube-root transformation of wealth.