Re: st: Calculating area under a curve

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Calculating area under a curve
Date   Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:08:27 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 27/11/09, Padmakumar Sivadasan wrote:
> I am interested not only in the mean value of v1 but also
> the variability of v1. One suggestion I got was to compute
> the cumulative probabilities at the national and local
> levels and then compare the area under the cumulative
> probability distributions at the local level to that at
> the national level.

A lot of this type of measures have been developed as part
of studying income distributions (high variability = high
income inequality). Many variations have been implemented
in Stata. You can find those by typing in Stata:
-findit inequality measures-. You can find references to this
literature in the help-files of the different packages.
Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen