Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Tim Wade <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:48:57 -0500

I think -fracpoly- may be an exception here--its theory and
application have been published pretty widely see for example:

Int J Epidemiol. 1999 Oct;28(5):964-74.
The use of fractional polynomials to model continuous risk variables
in epidemiology.
Royston P, Ambler G, Sauerbrei W.

and since I think the only implementation  is in Stata, this article
or something similar should be cited every time it is applied in
analyses for publication. But since -fracpoly- is a  statistical
algorithm which is used to draw inference about data,  I think it is
in a slightly different category than the many incredibly useful
commands which are primary used for formatting and summarizing output.
A journal reviewer may be much more likely to ask for details and a
citation for the fractional polynomial method referred to in the paper
than how the format was formatted and summarized. As one who makes
heavy use of the many user written programs for formatting output. I
am sympathetic to this issue of not receiving "publication points" for
the amount of work put into creating these packages.

Tim