Re: st: RE: re: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: re: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:28:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 19/11/09, Lachenbruch, Peter wrote:
> Certainly SJ articles would count as they are refereed.
> My concern was for people like Kit and Nick and Roy who
> contribute much more than SJ articles and don't get the
> academic rewards due them.

I can't speak for Kit and Nick, they obviously contributed,
and hopefully continue to contribute, enormously to this
comunity. All I can add is my personal experience based on
the few programs I have written. They don't count
officially in my institutions, and my collected postings to
the statalist don't count as a dissertation either, despite
the best efforts of Rich Williams. However, it surprised me
how much goodwill it tends to create with people I have
never met. I never thought of that when writing these
programs or answering questions on the statalist; the problem
I am solving just interests me. I agree that it would be good
if these activities were officially rewarded, but "soft"
rewards like goodwill can sometimes be surprisingly useful
(and don't forget the satisfaction from solving a puzzle).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen